This past weekend was another effort to get a few more projects completed. It’s easy to buy the stuff for a project, but harder to find the time to do the work — at least it is for me. We made good progress, but completed little.
The deck freezer came back from Boat Electric with all new guts. It turns out the freezer was old enough that replacement parts aren’t available so all the internal workings had to be completely replaced. It was more expensive this way, but probably better in the long run.
I installed a terminal block and wired up the deck freezer.
I inserted my nifty power meter (more on that in a future post) in the freezer circuit to check how much power it consumed. Looks like about 6-7 amps. Of course I had just turned it on so I expect it to use a bit less power when it is running at temp with a bunch of stuff inside. You’ll notice the voltage is 11.23 vdc. The wiring is 14 gauge. The run is about 20 feet. 14 is too small. I am going to swap out the wire with 10 gauge and see if I can decrease the voltage loss.
On to the next project. The navigation light boards are desperately in need of new paint.
Here the boards are mostly sanded and almost ready to paint. We are using Interlux Pre-Kote primer and Interlux Premium Yacht Enamel.
In between coats of primer and paint I worked on other projects. I have a new Xintex S-2A propane sensor and electric valve and a Victron Energy BMV-602 battery monitor to install. We had a Xantrex Link2000 on our sailboat. I miss the ability to see detailed battery information. I especially liked the ability to see how many amps we were consuming at any point in time. The BVM-602 will provide that information.
There aren’t a lot of places to install the panels so I decided to locate them to the left of the generator panel. A tight fit, but it works. They are mounted low, but neither requires that we look at them often.
I taped up the area so I could mark the right places to drill and protect the edges from chipping.
And here are the installed control panels. A tight fit.
The name board are painted and ready for the lights to be re-installed. Two coats of primer and two coats of paint.
The deck freezer is running and very quiet. Empty, we were able to get the temperature down to 10 degrees. Zero degrees is the goal.
We use this solar powered wireless temperature monitor from Oregon Scientific to monitor the fridge and freezer temperatures and humidity. It also shows us temps/humidity inside and outside the boat. Works great! Unfortunately, they don’t make this base unit anymore.
Kim did a ton of cleaning and organizing. The wood in the galley has never been cleaner.
Unfortunately, we ran out of weekend and didn’t get things completely done. The nav light boards have been painted, but not re-installed. The propane monitor needs the electric valve and sensor installed at the tanks in the flybridge. The battery monitor needs the shunt installed in the engine room. And I need to run new, heavier gauge wire up to the deck freezer. And of course, we need to paint window frames. It never ends …
In between all this, we managed to find a bit of time to have Kim’s parents and sister over for a short cruise and a swell dinner of Copper River King Salmon! I think I have Kim talked into posting her special recipe.