Water Filtration Project – Part 3

First, let me apologize. I’m not really trying to turn this project into an epic event. If I’d done this when I had access to the boat, it would have taken half as long. Additionally, time to work on it is limited to weekends. And … we need to get the boat back next weekend so I can wrap this project up.  We are headed for a week in the San Juan Islands soon. With that said, here’s the progress I made this weekend.

This is where I ended up.

mv Archimedes filter housings mounted and plumbed 1

And here is how I got there …

Continue reading

Water Filtration Project – Part 2

I built the beginnings of the new structure to hold the water filters last week. I modeled it based on the scribblings that pass for my notes. For some reason (entirely unclear to me now) I had written “18 inch height” on the notes. Between my feeble memory and the photos I have, I was sure there was more space available. I want to use as much space as is practical to insure there is adequate room to access and change the filters.

We popped over to Seaview West this past weekend to visit the boat and pick up and drop off a few things. I also wanted to verify some of the measurements in the engine room. I measured real good this time.

I based last weekend’s effort on my previous notes and measurements. Turns out I did have more room than I thought. So I made a new platform that takes advantage of the available space. I decided to call my first effort a “prototype.” Makes me feel better about doing it the second time.

Below are the old and new platforms. On the left side is the original (the “prototype”). The one on the right uses the new measurements. 24 inches tall rather than 18 inches. Same width. but a little deeper than the first one.

mv Archimedes filter mount proto and final

Continue reading

Boat Yard Update

It’s been a week since we hauled out at Seaview West. The boat is on stands, the port prop shaft is “in the shop”. The bottom is painted and looking great. New house and start batteries are on the way.

mv Archimedes on the hard at Seaview West Continue reading

Water Filtration Project – Part 1

While we can hold 250 gallons of fresh water, we generally purchase gallon jugs of water for drinking. This seems silly to me with all the water we have on board. So it’s time to put in some filtration so we can trust the water in the tanks.

As usual, my solution is probably over engineered. And of course, I waited until the boat was in the yard to start working on this project. Although I made a few drawings and took measurements, I can’t confirm some of the measurements and finish the project until I get the boat back and can test fit everything.

Here’s my plan …

mv Archimedes new water filters Continue reading

Spring Haul Out

I got an early start Friday morning. Left the dock at 6:00AM headed over to Seaview West at Shilshole. It’s time to haul out, clean and paint the bottom, check the zincs, and take care of a few other little odds and ends.

It was a fantastic morning for boating. Here is a photo coming out of Agate Passage.

mv Archimedes Sunset on the way to Seaview West Boatyard Continue reading

EPIRB Update

Got the new EPIRB a week or so ago. I am happy that Kannad was kind enough to replace it, but a bit sad that they sent a different model. The new unit has a large spring out antenna and is deeper and wider than the old one. The previous unit was sleek and smaller. It won’t fit as nicely where the old one was. Not a big deal. An EPIRB that will work when you need it is.

mv Archimedes EPIRB replacement side by side 2