Painting the Flybridge Doors

The paint had failed on the doors that lead under the flybridge (I don’t know the official name for them). I took them home and went to work removing the old finish. I don’t know when they were last painted or with what kind of paint. The finish was dull. Maybe flat house paint?


I removed all of the old paint. That was a miserable and dusty job. Even with dust collection and filtering, I ended up with fine white dust everywhere. That’s why I always wear a respirator when I do this.

The first step in building up the new finish was two coats of CPES. I  sanded lightly with 150 grit sandpaper between each coat. For those that don’t know, CPES is an epoxy the consistency of water. It soaks into the wood and seals it nicely. These doors are exposed to the weather when the canvas is off. I wanted a good reliable base for the paint. I want this to last for a long time.

Next is two coats of Interlux Pre-Kote Primer. Another light sanding between coats.

After the primer, I applied three coats of white (4359) Interlux Brightside Polyurethane paint. That is the same paint Avalon Brightwork used on the window frames so it all matches nicely. I moved up to 220 grit sandpaper between the finish coats of paint.

When that was all done, I re-installed the hardware and took the doors back to the boat.

… And the finished doors are back on the boat.

They are a bit whiter than the surrounding fiberglass, but look fine to me. The new finish should last a long time.

On to the next project …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

9 − seven =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.