We are selling a pair of Hobie Mirage Revolution 11 kayaks. Oddly, we managed to acquire two more than we need. It’s handy when friends come to visit, but that doesn’t justify keeping four kayaks around. It is time for two to find a new home.
OK. I put this in the category of failed experiments. I am sure trim tabs are great, but not on this dinghy. I think the problem is that they are too close to the tubes and outboard. Not enough room on the little transom.
I spent some quality time working on the starboard door a while ago. That post is here.
I took advantage of the good weather last weekend and got the port door done also. This door was quite a bit easier. Just a bit of sanding and spraying on the outside, and a quick wipe with polyurethane on the inside.
We spent two nights at Wallace Island and two nights in Montague. It’s been four days since we’ve seen the sun. Smoke from forest fires in the region covered the area. The weather has been nice, just no sun and blue sky. Maybe there were clouds from time to time, but we couldn’t see them.
Now that we are all caught up with what has been going on, I want to close the loop on a few recent posts …
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
We installed trim tabs on our dinghy earlier this year. Since then, we’ve used it for short trips and a few longer cruises. Do I think it is an improvement? I don’t know. It is a nice stable ride and it planes easily. But, the trim tabs sort of turn a sporty car into a station wagon. And it is slower. We lose about 4 knots of speed. And I like speed in a dinghy.
This is going to be a long post about an exciting subject. Fortunately, I included lots of photos so it shouldn’t be too painful.
The starboard door developed a crack in the wood right on the edge by the lock. It’s been this way for about a year. This was the first chance I’ve had to tackle the problem and fix it for good. At least I hope I fixed it for good. You can see in this photo near the lock that the paint was failing. I knew that I would have to take it all off and repaint the door. And of course, then I would have to strip and varnish the trim around the window. That’s why I had to wait until I had a few weekends available. It was not a hard project, but waiting between coats of CPES, primer, paint, and varnish meant it would take some time to complete.
Disclaimer: I try to do the best job I can when it comes to boat projects. I don’t always know what I am doing, though. Since that doesn’t stop me, consider my efforts suspect until validated by a competent authority.