Now that we are all caught up with what has been going on, I want to close the loop on a few recent posts …
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
We installed trim tabs on our dinghy earlier this year. Since then, we’ve used it for short trips and a few longer cruises. Do I think it is an improvement? I don’t know. It is a nice stable ride and it planes easily. But, the trim tabs sort of turn a sporty car into a station wagon. And it is slower. We lose about 4 knots of speed. And I like speed in a dinghy.
The day started out great. More sun and fine weather. By afternoon, the wind had come up and clouds had covered the sky. Before that, though, I went for a nice walk. There were many canada geese over on the grass. Many babies around. It’s that time of year.
Now that we have the boat back, I was able to tackle what was the easiest part of this project. I just needed to mount the accumulator tank and the pump on the new filter platform, and run new hoses between everything. I pulled all the old plumbing out and took it back to the house. Here is everything mounted up and ready for the hose.
We did not get the boat back this weekend. I’ll admit I didn’t think this trip to the yard would end up taking a month. We’ve got to get it back next Saturday. We are planning to head north to the San Juan Islands Sunday morning. The Grand Banks Rendezvous starts Thursday at Roche Harbor.
I couldn’t work on the boat so we went kayaking. And fine kayaking weather it was indeed.
I could sit and watch the world go by for hours on a beautiful Sunday morning like this.
First, let me apologize. I’m not really trying to turn this project into an epic event. If I’d done this when I had access to the boat, it would have taken half as long. Additionally, time to work on it is limited to weekends. And … we need to get the boat back next weekend so I can wrap this project up. We are headed for a week in the San Juan Islands soon. With that said, here’s the progress I made this weekend.
It’s been a week since we hauled out at Seaview West. The boat is on stands, the port prop shaft is “in the shop”. The bottom is painted and looking great. New house and start batteries are on the way.
While we can hold 250 gallons of fresh water, we generally purchase gallon jugs of water for drinking. This seems silly to me with all the water we have on board. So it’s time to put in some filtration so we can trust the water in the tanks.
As usual, my solution is probably over engineered. And of course, I waited until the boat was in the yard to start working on this project. Although I made a few drawings and took measurements, I can’t confirm some of the measurements and finish the project until I get the boat back and can test fit everything.