While we can hold 250 gallons of fresh water, we generally purchase gallon jugs of water for drinking. This seems silly to me with all the water we have on board. So it’s time to put in some filtration so we can trust the water in the tanks.
As usual, my solution is probably over engineered. And of course, I waited until the boat was in the yard to start working on this project. Although I made a few drawings and took measurements, I can’t confirm some of the measurements and finish the project until I get the boat back and can test fit everything.
Here’s my plan …
I am going to install these two giant filter housings in the fresh water line right after the pump. These housings hold 10″ x 4.5″ filters. They have 1″ NPT connections. The first housing will hold a 5 micron sediment filter. The second will hold a 5 micron carbon filter.
The filters will go on a new frame I am building. They will sit behind where the expansion tank currently lives. The expansion tank and pump will move around a bit to accommodate everything and simplify the plumbing.
Here’s the start of the new frame for all of this. It’s lying on its back. Once I confirm the size and test the fit, I’ll seal the wood with a few coats of epoxy and paint it with bilge paint.
I am not entirely sure I am using the right materials for the water lines. I tried to find brass fittings, but I couldn’t find the parts I needed in the right sizes that are lead free and safe to use with drinking water. I couldn’t find plastic fittings that would work either. I went with bronze since those were the right size, are all over the boat now, and didn’t show they were not safe for drinking water. Maybe I’ll find more info before I finish that will change what we end up with.
More to come …